Album review: Blind Boys of Alabama, I'll Find a Way (Sony Masterworks)
The prolific gospel group are in unusual alliance here with Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, whose production adds mystery without sacrificing the ebullient tone. The horn arrangements are tastefully antique, while the funky “God Put a Rainbow in the Cloud” and swinging “I Shall Not Be Moved” profit respectively from Vernon's slide guitar and dobro playing. Some of the guest vocalists are questionable – Shara Worden and Sam Amidon seem detached – but Vernon's delivery of Dylan's “Every Grain of Sand” has charm. Merrill Garbus of tUnE-yArDs fares best on “I've Been Searching”, but the outstanding performance is the BBs' Paul Beasley's airy falsetto on “Take Me to the Water”.
Download: Take Me to the Water; I've Been Searching; God Put a Rainbow in the Cloud; Every Grain of Sand
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote