Album review: Bryn Terfel, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Homeward Bound (Deutsche Grammophon)
It's commonplace for bass-baritones to be saddled with the villain roles of operas, so perhaps it's understandable that Bryn Terfel should want to take time out with a more righteous, uplifting programme such as this collaboration with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But that ominous sleeve photo, with Terfel beaming in a pale-blue cardie, prompts due misgivings: compared to the relish with which he tackled the villainous cast on the splendid Bad Boys, here he simply recalls Howard Keel slapping his britches alongside a prop campfire whilst belting out heartwarming Western show-tunes like “Home on the Range”, “Shenandoah” and “Battle Hymn of the Republic”.
Download: Lascia Ch'io Pianga; Cwm Rhondda
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are US film censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >