Album review: Charles Ives, A Songbook (hat(now)ART)
As with his larger musical works, Charles Ives' songs occupy a peculiar position that offers a bridge between Old World classical art-song traditions and the more demotic, folksy New World modes, but charged with the questing experimental spirit that characterises his entire output.
The subtle, occasionally obtuse arrangements of strings, brass, woodwind and percussion are powerfully redolent of the early 20th century, with some of the most evocatively expressive settings employed on other poets' work, notably the meandering river vista of Robert Underwood Johnson's “The Housatonic at Stockbridge” and the pastoral suspension of Rupert Brooke's “Grantchester”.
Download: Grantchester; The Housatonic at Stockbridge; Walking
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 4 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 5 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
London Has Fallen trailer branded 'extremely insensitive' ahead of 10th anniversary of 7/7 bombings
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives