Album review: Gary Clark Jr, Blak and Blu (Warner Bros)
Anointed even by Obama as "the future", young Texan blues guitarist Gary Clark Jr is widely viewed as heir apparent to such legends as Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, a belief only partly confirmed by this debut album.
There's no doubt that when he launches into a solo, Clark possesses a similar kind of barely restrained potency, in the shape of his phrasing and confident access to sonic extremity; but large parts of Blak and Blu are spent crooning falsetto soul numbers or cranking out chunky rockers in the vein of the Stones and Bob Seger . And I'm not entirely convinced that Hendrix's "Third Stone from the Sun" is improved by being yoked to Little Johnny Taylor's "If You Love Me Like You Say".
Download: Ain't Messin 'Round; When My Train Pulls In; Travis County
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >