Album review: John Cage, The Works for Organ (Mode)
John Cage wrote remarkably little organ music, but the accent as usual was on remarkable: for “Some of 'The Harmony of Maine'”, he adapted 19th-century hymns by Supply Belcher with regard to the organ's multiple-timbral possibilities, in ways which required six assistant organists to perform complex registration changes.
More absorbing, however, are the later eight-part suites “ASLSP” and “Organ2/ASLSP”, whose titles refer to the instruction to play “as slow as possible”, with individual tones and chords held for long periods, often in dissonant collusion. (His open attitude to register and duration has resulted in one German performance of the latter to be scheduled to run for 639 years).
Download: ASLSP; Organ2/ASLSP; Souvenir
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'