Album review: Kimberley Walsh, Centre Stage (Decca)
Following her stint as Princess Fiona in Shrek The Musical, an album of
familiar show tunes is a logical solo gambit for Kimberley Walsh; but
familiarity is a Faustian pact from which she profits little on Centre
The single "One Day I'll Fly Away" is fine, borne aloft as it is on floaty Enya-isms; but elsewhere her delivery lets her down: gushingly over-emotive on "As Long As He Needs Me", coy rather than yearning on "Somewhere". The best is "Hushabye Mountain" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which she imbues with genuine affection – a childhood favourite, perhaps? Swedish producers Per Magnusson and David Kreuger ladle on the strings with only occasional originality – notably the cruise-liner Springsteenisms of "Defying Gravity" .
Download: Hushabye Mountain; One Day I'll Fly Away
Arts & Ents blogs
Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
Grace Dent on TV: True Detective, Sky Atlantic
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Jessica Alba interview: From Hollywood superwoman to household product CEO
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it