Album review: Kimberley Walsh, Centre Stage (Decca)
Following her stint as Princess Fiona in Shrek The Musical, an album of
familiar show tunes is a logical solo gambit for Kimberley Walsh; but
familiarity is a Faustian pact from which she profits little on Centre
The single "One Day I'll Fly Away" is fine, borne aloft as it is on floaty Enya-isms; but elsewhere her delivery lets her down: gushingly over-emotive on "As Long As He Needs Me", coy rather than yearning on "Somewhere". The best is "Hushabye Mountain" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which she imbues with genuine affection – a childhood favourite, perhaps? Swedish producers Per Magnusson and David Kreuger ladle on the strings with only occasional originality – notably the cruise-liner Springsteenisms of "Defying Gravity" .
Download: Hushabye Mountain; One Day I'll Fly Away
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives