Album review: Martin Simpson, Vagrant Stanzas (Topic)
Martin Simpson applies his dazzling fingerstyle technique to a broad range of material, from Thirties folk-blues lament “Diamond Joe” to Leonard Cohen's bedsit anthem “Stranger Song”, alongside his own originals such as “Delta Dreams” and the instrumental “Molly As She Swings”. As ever, there's special attention paid to social broadsides, from a gritty version of Dylan's iron-range ballad “North Country Blues” to Leon Rosselson's “Palaces of Gold”, whose gauging of the imbalance between privilege and poverty remains as pertinent now as ever.
Download: Palaces of Gold; North Country Blues; Stranger Song; Delta Dreams
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
Ukraine crisis: Helicopter gunships take country closer to all-out war
- 1 Chelsea 1 Sunderland 2: Graceless reaction of Jose Mourinho a sad effort to hide his own flaws
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers