Album review: Martin Simpson, Vagrant Stanzas (Topic)
Martin Simpson applies his dazzling fingerstyle technique to a broad range of material, from Thirties folk-blues lament “Diamond Joe” to Leonard Cohen's bedsit anthem “Stranger Song”, alongside his own originals such as “Delta Dreams” and the instrumental “Molly As She Swings”. As ever, there's special attention paid to social broadsides, from a gritty version of Dylan's iron-range ballad “North Country Blues” to Leon Rosselson's “Palaces of Gold”, whose gauging of the imbalance between privilege and poverty remains as pertinent now as ever.
Download: Palaces of Gold; North Country Blues; Stranger Song; Delta Dreams
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Wikipedia edits from inside Parliament removing scandals from MPs' pages, investigation finds
- 3 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 4 Johnny Depp facing 10 years in jail for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- 5 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote