Album review: Mogwai Les Revenants (Rock Action)
Mogwai's score for the French TV series Les Revenants places certain restrictions on the band's style which, it must be said, work to their advantage. These short cues are restrained and moody, a series of sustained atmospheres lacking the usual Mogwai cathartic climax – any such releases of tension are more subtly and quiety effected, while most tracks simply leave the mood hanging. The closest they come to classic Mogwai is “Special N”, on which string tones and guitar arpeggios gradually acquire a fuzzy burr and counterpoint organ melody; elsewhere, brooding keyboards predominate on tracks like “Hungry Face”, a doomy processional in which tiny glockenspiel tones dot the darkness like lanterns.
Download: Hungry Face; This Messiah Needs Watching; Special N; What Are They Doing in Heaven Today?
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture