Album review: Rainer and Das Combo, Barefoot Rock with... Rainer and Das Combo (Fire)
Though his life was cut tragically short before he could reap the rewards of his pioneering work, Rainer Ptacek embodied all that was/is best about the Americana movement. Gently dedicated to his chosen instrument – the resophonic steel guitar – he drew from its history without being bound by it.
Repackaged with a second disc of unreleased material, this 1985 debut, the first of a complete reissue programme of his undervalued oeuvre, includes covers of blues songs by Robert Johnson and JB Lenoir, but they're far from slavish copies, driven instead by a churning garage-rockabilly pulse that recalls the Sixties R'n'B heyday.
Download: That's How Things Get Done; Sleepwalk; Around and Around; If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage