Album review: The Motown 7s: Various Artists, Rare and Unreleased, Motown
Sunday 17 November 2013
What it says on the box … a square cardboard container enclosing seven 7-inch singles of impeccable obscurity and desirability, most of which never met with release – the sound of young America as antique treasure.
And to be fair, there is nothing here which exceeds in quality the work we did get to hear in the mid/late 1960s; but equally, such is the quality of Motown manufacture that nothing falls dramatically short either, least of all a rather lovely Stevie Wonder hipsnake from 1968. Such are the mysteries …
So, who do we get? Marvin, the Supremes, the Spinners, the Tops, the Isleys, the Temps, Tammi Terrell, David Ruffin etc. And, of course, the legend that is Frank Wilson’s “Do I Love You”. A box of bomp.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 BP hit with record $18.7 billion fine over Deepwater Horizon Gulf oil spill
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Game of Thrones season 6: Release date, plots and dragons - everything we know so far
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Game of Thrones: Leaked season six script introduces new 'red priestess' and hints at Daenerys Targaryen's next chapter
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS