Album review: Tony Joe White, Hoodoo (Yep Roc)
JJ Cale's back-porch rocker may have stilled, but there's some solace in Hoodoo, which may be Tony Joe White's best album. It's a record full of laidback, shuffling blues and murmured intimacies, with the enigmatic "Holed Up" hitting a Cale-like hypnotic groove."
Elsewhere are reminiscences of his childhood as a poor cotton-farmer's kid ("9 Foot Sack"), two perilous extreme-weather songs, "The Flood" and "Storm Comin'", and a warning never to linger in "Alligator, Mississippi".
White's trademark swamp-rock style is best represented by "The Gift", in which ghosts of bluesmen past appear to him in a graveyard vision, perhaps drawn by the sinister scrawl of fuzz-guitar and the miasmic electric piano. A true original, at his very best.
Download: The Gift; Holed Up; 9 Foot Sack; Alligator, Mississippi
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lord Sewel quits: Peer 'boasts of having sex with BBC presenter and seeing 13 mistresses'
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Polish court orders bank to repay drugged man after he spends £23,400 in lap dance bar
Inside Out: Pixar makes crucial change for Japanese audiences by editing out broccoli
Watch Tom Cruise lip sync to The Weeknd (seriously)
Top Gear cleared by Ofcom over Jeremy Clarkson's use of the word 'pikey'
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Amazon UK launch Prime Music streaming service to rival Spotify and TIDAL
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park