Album review: Various Artists, The Backbeat of Rock and Roll (Famous Flames)
In its Fifties infancy, rock'n'roll followed the dance-band fashion of being largely instrumental, with vocalists an occasional luxury until Elvis made them a mandatory focus.
This 3CD compilation draws together more than 90 prime instrumentals from the era, a parade of yakety saxists reflecting the waning R&B mode, and clean-cut, twangy guitarists such as Duane Eddy, The Ventures and The Shadows. Plus a fair tranche of shameless novelties and dance-craze grooves ("It's Madison Time") and a number of idiosyncratic moments of genius, like Link Wray's "Rumble" ), the sonic tectonics of Bo Diddley's "Mumblin' Guitar", and the cool, collegiate cunning of the late Dave Brubeck's "Take Five". Boisterous, bizarre and beautiful, by turns.
Download: Mumblin' Guitar; Rumble; Peter Gunn; Husky Team; Take Five
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Game of Thrones actress begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Palestinian artists transform smoke-filled Gaza into symbol of resistance
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >