Album: Rhythms del Mundo, Revival (Transmission)
Friday 13 August 2010
This latest charity compilation of made-over pop hits in an Afro-Cuban style has some routine examples of unimaginative salsa-fication (Wyclef Jean's "Stayin' Alive"), but mercifully they're outnumbered by the more apt transformations of things like Gorillaz' "Feel Good Inc", Groove Armada's timbale-rattling "Superstylin'", and Dizzee Rascal's "Holiday", its new Caribbean setting perfectly in line with its vacation theme.
Even Coldplay's "Clocks" profits from the insertion of a staccato offbeat in to its piano hook, while K T Tunstall plays Grace Slick as Bebel Gilberto on a samba version of "Somebody To Love". The biggest sales hook, though, is Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", transformed here by horns and shuffling percussion into something akin to a norteño ballad.
DOWNLOAD THIS A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall; Holiday; Feel Good Inc; Somebody To Love
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
JK Rowling announces Harry Potter's son is starting at Hogwarts
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
Akram Khan: Choreographer says dance is 'as important as maths and being a doctor'
Common words you're probably misusing: From 'enormity' to 'ultimately', 'gambit' to 'fortuitous'
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up