Album: Ryan Bingham, Junky Star (Lost Highway)
Sunday 05 September 2010
The scent of mythologisation pervades RB's airspace like some pongy Texan cactus.
Here be bittersweetness and gravelliness, plus the romanticism of the down at heel, and wind metaphors and wailing harmonicas. Plus the lingering swoosh of an Oscar for that Crazy Heart song. And yet, for all its self-consciousness, there's something solidly appealing about Junky Star. T-Bone Burnett's production has chunk and Bingham's Dylan-meets-Fogerty-round-at-Bruce's vocals are in no sense autotuned.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'