Album: Scissor Sisters, Magic Hour (Polydor)
There's no surprises here – the usual Scissor Sisters mélange of sex, drug and disco tropes recycled over the usual hustling grooves, one eyebrow ironically raised throughout like a sonic emoticon.
Most tracks do their utmost to condense into party anthems, most successfully on "Inevitable", "Somewhere" and "Keep Your Shoes On". "Year of Living Dangerously" features a poignant violin fill to underscore its paean to freedom, but strings are most effectively used on the downbeat "Secret Life of Letters", a touching portrait of a relationship in stasis that furnishes Jake Shears the opportunity to deliver his most moving vocal in ages.
Download: Inevitable; The Secret Life of Letters; Year of Living Dangerously
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin