Album: Shriekback, Life in the Loading Bay (Malicious Damage)
Sunday 05 December 2010
"I've seen the future," Leonard Cohen once sang, "and it is murder". The comeback album by 1980s electro-rockers Shriekback sounds like Len waking up in that future and deciding to go down the disco.
Along with the Shamen, the core duo of Barry Andrews (ex-XTC) and Dave Allen (Gang of Four) made a seamless transition from alt-rock into acidic dance, while remaining ghosts in the machine rather than inane party cheerleaders. Their sly wit makes more sense in 2010 than it has any right to.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >