Album: Stars, The Five Ghosts (Soft Revolution/Vagrant)
Friday 30 July 2010
An offshoot of Montreal-based indie collective Broken Social Scene, Stars' lush indie-pop is here employed for a theme of ghosts, perhaps inspired by the antique double-exposure sleeve photo, whose sullen subject is surrounded by five indistinct faces.
The matter is pursued by tracks such as "I Died So I Could Haunt You", "He Dreams He's Awake" and the opening "Dead Hearts". The voices of Torquil Campbell and Amy Millan combine in a Deacon Blue/Prefab Sprout manner over a shoegazerly thrum of guitars and tentative piano, which elsewhere extends into gently insistent pulsing keyboards ("Wasted Daylight", "Fixed") or a more charmless electropop mode ("We Don't Want Your Body", "How Much More"), as if Stars were trying to straddle the divide between Coldplay and Lady Gaga.
DOWNLOAD THIS Dead Hearts; Wasted Daylight; Changes
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures