Album: Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Real Emotional Trash, (Domino)
Sunday 02 March 2008
"Of all my stoned digressions/Some have mutated into the truth" – in all the years he has been making records, has Stephen Malkmus ever written a more revealing line than the opening words of his fourth post-Pavement record?
With the most intuitive backing musicians he's gathered together since splitting up his band, Malkmus seems to have met his match in Sleater-Kinney/Quasi/ Bright Eyes drummer Janet Weiss. So even though wilfully weird phrases trip off his tongue in all directions, for once it's never at the expense of a tune. This 'Real Emotional Trash' is pure musical treasure.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland