Album: Stevie Nicks, In Your Dreams (Warner)
Sunday 26 June 2011
The caprine warble of solo Steve Nicks has broken its silence after 10 years to explore the idea that nothing lasts forever, especially in affairs of the heart.
In her comeback single, "Secret Love" – originally written for the Rumours sessions in 1976 – Nicks touchingly pleads "I'm not asking for forever from you/ I just want to be held for a while". It's a theme she returns to again and again here. There are also typically romantic references to maidens, Camelot and kingdoms by the sea, and the supernatural looms large. The one bum note is "Cheaper Than Free", a slightly naff, lachrymose pedal-steel duet with producer Dave Stewart. Which is a shame, because Stewart's unfussy, country-flavoured production is the perfect backing for Stevie to do what she does best, namely bleat like a goat in heat.
Arts & Ents blogs
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >