Album: Strauss, Ariadne auf Naxos – Sinopoli, (Brilliant)
Sunday 29 March 2009
Rereleased minus the libretto and translation, Giuseppe Sinopoli's nine-year-old recording with the Sächsische Staatskapelle Dresden remains one of the most luxurious
Leading the cast is Deborah Voigt's Prima Donna/Ariadne, a performance that shows her voice at its pre-op finest. Anne Sofie von Otter's ardent Composer, Stephan Genz's fleet-footed Harlekin and Natalie Dessay's flirtatious Zerbinetta offset Ben Heppner's heroic Bacchus. The orchestral solos are also superb.
Pick of the album: Natalie Dessay's sparkling 'Grossmächtige Prinzessin'
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Chronixx interview: Reggae sensation on taking the opening spot at Glastonbury and calling Barack Obama a 'waste man'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director Jack Bender says showrunners 'communicate closely' with George RR Martin
Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson 'can't front ITV motoring show' due to BBC contract clause
Amy Winehouse film: Mark Ronson praises 'respectful' movie as it scores highest ever UK opening for British documentary
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts