Album: Sun People, Nickodemus, ESL / Wonderwheel
Friday 07 August 2009
Producer/turntablist Nickodemus brings the world to his New York studio on this follow-up to the wellreceived Endangered Species, mixing up a series of spicy pan-cultural crossovers in which East sidles up to West and gives it a playful pinch on the posterior, before both head south to shake a tail with their hedonist Latin cousins.
In Nickodemus’s world there are no apparent boundaries, just pleasant play areas where one musical style finds common ground with another. As rappers Stimulus & Dionysos suggest on the title-track, “A good vibe implies a great tribe”, and for most of Sun People, Nickodemus hangs out with a decent tribe.
Whether stirring up a middle-eastern- flavoured groove, with heavy breakbeat and congas carrying elegant zither glissandi, as on “2 Sips & Magic”, or blending Indian vocal enchantment with rolling cumbia rhythm and dub effects, as on “Didibina”, his touch is firm but sensitive to the requirements of each piece, nowhere more so than on “weRISE weFALLweRISE”, where crepuscular clarinet figures float above a clockwork rattle of percussion, before a zither kicks things into gear. Best of all is “Sun People” itself, in which a delicate intro passage of flute, plucked string and African vocal gives way to a loping funk.
Download this: Sun People, 2 Sips & Magic, weRISEweFALLweRISE, Didibina
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations