Album: Texas Tornados Esta Bueno!, Bismeaux/Proper (PPP)
Friday 23 April 2010
The original Texas Tornados were the Tex-Mex outfit led by the late Doug Sahm.
It's a wonderful, warm-hearted set, full of downhome humour, unashamed sentimentality and rowdy goodtime riffs ranging from the Texan polka "In Heaven There Is No Beer" ("...that's why we drink it here") to Bobby Charles's wistful waltz "Tennessee Blues". "Velma From Selma" and the chugging rocker "Who's To Blame Senorita?"are typical of the uptempo material, and of the genre's brazen attitude to rhyming, while "They Don't Make 'Em Like I Like" is barked out with a staccato brio befitting the semi-satirical intent of lines like "They don't like to cook, they'd rather read a book". The title-track offers a cautionary tale about the effects of over-indulging in jalapeño peppers, a scatological trifle aimed squarely below the belt.
Download this: Esta Bueno; They Don't Make 'Em Like I Like
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 4 A Chinese journalist has appeared on state television 'confessing' to causing the stock market chaos
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge on the show?'
Wes Craven dead: Why Johnny Depp owes his career to director’s 13-year-old daughter
Trevor Noah, Edinburgh Fringe review: New Daily Show host warms up in inspired style
VMAs 2015: You can already buy ‘Kanye West for president’ t-shirts
VMAs 2015: Taylor Swift and her buddy Kendrick Lamar clean-up at awards - full list of winners
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms