Album: The Futureheads, This Is Not the World (Nul)
Sunday 25 May 2008
Dropped by 679 Recordings after poor sales of their second album, Mackem quartet the Futureheads came close to splitting up, but instead applied their work ethic, regrouped, and formed their own label for album number three.
The title track may namecheck avant-gardists Einsturzende Neubauten (in a roundabout way), but this is the Futureheads' most straight-ahead record yet, which is probably what happens when an "angular" band has visited all the angles. In new wave terms, they've moved from XTC/Wire to the Vapors/the Ruts. A dozen bright blasts of agitated, uptight urgency.
Pick of the Album: AM, FM, all that jazz: 'Girl with a Radio Heart'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures