Album: The Gutter Twins, Saturnalia (Sub Pop)
Sunday 02 March 2008
Greg Dulli is best known for playing the homme fatal in the Afghan Whigs and the Twilight Singers.
Mark Lanegan was the gravel-voiced leader of the tedious Screaming Trees. United as the Gutter Twins, the two men take alternate turns on lead vocals. Unless you're within the Venn cross-section which loves both singers, you'll find 'Saturnalia' frustrating. The Lanegan tracks lack the scorch and snarl of the Whigs or the savoury soulfulness of the Twilights, and even though Greg wrote or co-wrote nine of its 11 tracks, the Dulli fan, frustrated by hearing his words in another voice, will reach for the Skip button. But it's worth persevering.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans