Album: The Iguanas, If You Should Ever Fall on Hard Times, (Yep Roc)
Sunday 07 December 2008
Another post-Katrina New Orleans record. Yes, but it's a good one. The Iguanas are impossible to nail.
They do R&B, jazz, Latin, Tex-Mex, funk and soul. But they find the contiguity in all of those things: 'IYSEFOHT' is not a jukebox experience. Nor is it dominated by local issues – the outstanding song appears to have death-bed hallucination at its generative heart. Perhaps all the group lacks is a charismatic voice: all that "Dancing for Dollars" lacks is a presence as unsavoury as Mick Jagger's circa 1971.
Pick of the Album: 'Okemah': a song for the dying
TVEnough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 3 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 4 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
- 5 Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Halloween 2014: The scariest movies to watch on Netflix
Spider House, BBC4 - review: Enough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice