Album: The Jayhawks, Mockingbird Time (Rounder)
Friday 02 September 2011
It is spectacular bad timing, now that such as Jonathan Wilson, Dawes and Kalli are spearheading a full Laurel Canyon country-rock revival, for The Jayhawks to release their most insipid, uninspired album in years.
This is as drab a set of songs as Gary Louris and Mark Olsen have come up with, full of so-what lyrics harnessed to weak, unengaging melodies, and delivered as limply as the Queen's handshake. "She Walks In So Many Ways" is as indistinct as its title, and the tired violin on "Black Eyed Susan" exemplifies the album's enervated condition. The familiar country-rock tropes are wheeled out to little effect on songs like "Guilder Annie", which with its12-string guitar, pedal steel and harmonies sounds like nothing so much as a Byrds song that failed to make the cut. The general lack of spirit suggests chronic apathy.
DOWNLOAD THIS: Pouring Rain At Dawn
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, gig review: Just what everyone was hoping for
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >