Album: The Kissaway Trail, Sleep Mountain (Bella Union)
Sunday 07 March 2010
This Danish quintet don't wear their influences on their sleeves so much as tattoo them on to their foreheads. Emotive alt-rock remains their schtick on this second LP, concocted from two parts Arcade Fire to one part Flaming Lips, and with the co-frontmen's wistful, in one case Wayne Coyne-esque vocals pitched against driving, ever-swelling arrangements.
From bell-ringing opener "SDP" to standout weepie "Beat Your Heartbeat", it's full of anthemic grace, but over 12 tracks, the whiff of déjà vu proves suffocating.
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly