Album: The Necks, Mindset (ReR)
Mindset is short by Necks standards – just two tracks of 22 minutes each – but it is typically involving.
It may not have the soothing, immensely satisfying manner of their classic Drive By, but the trio have found other ways to chase their muse. "Rum Jungle" rides several overlapping pulses simultaneously, producing a strange, hesitant momentum. Its low-end piano rumblings are dark and tempestuous, the overall effect one of being lost in a forest, frantically seeking egress in ever-thickening undergrowth, as layers of percussion are joined by shuddering waves of organ. "Daylights" opens with a trickle of bright, resonant piano, stubbed bass notes and clicky, rattling flurries of small percussion, like insects. By its conclusion, we're back in the forest, albeit with shafts of sunlight guiding our way.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits due to illness
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, gig review: Just what everyone was hoping for
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >