Album: The Necks, Mindset (ReR)
Mindset is short by Necks standards – just two tracks of 22 minutes each – but it is typically involving.
It may not have the soothing, immensely satisfying manner of their classic Drive By, but the trio have found other ways to chase their muse. "Rum Jungle" rides several overlapping pulses simultaneously, producing a strange, hesitant momentum. Its low-end piano rumblings are dark and tempestuous, the overall effect one of being lost in a forest, frantically seeking egress in ever-thickening undergrowth, as layers of percussion are joined by shuddering waves of organ. "Daylights" opens with a trickle of bright, resonant piano, stubbed bass notes and clicky, rattling flurries of small percussion, like insects. By its conclusion, we're back in the forest, albeit with shafts of sunlight guiding our way.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to England and Arsenal striker