Album: The Script, #3 (Phonogenic)
It remains to be seen whether Danny O'Donoghue's stint as The Other One on The Voice will broaden The Script's appeal or antagonise their core Anglo-Irish fanbase; but their fortune surely lies across the Atlantic, their blend of rap and anthemic arena-rock with uplifting sentiments sounding tailor-made for US tastes.
O'Donoghue's transatlantic inflections on "Good Ol' Days" seem to confirm this, as does the laboured self-betterment chant on "Hall Of Fame". This is an example of what The Script does best: taking a familiar cliché and riding it in a different direction, whether it's the "Broken Arrow" somehow "shooting across the sky", or using "Six Degrees Of Separation" to quantify arbitrary stages of the amorphous emotional morass of heartbreak.
Download: Good Ol' Days; Broken Arrow
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes