Album: The Temper Trap, Conditions, (Infectious)
Sunday 19 July 2009
What to make of an opening track which begins with some beautiful falsetto atmospherics, then descends into what sounds like a Conchords piss-take of Coldplay?
What to make of the Melbourne band in general? Their quicksilver sound contains flashes of A-ha, Empire Of The Sun, U2, Talk Talk, Mew and even the Cure. Given the promising elements, you expect a chain reaction, but it never quite comes. There's a great record in here somewhere. But just when you think you've got a handle on it, it slips through your fingers.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >