Album: The Welcome Wagon Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices Asthmatic Kitty bbb
Presbyterian pastor Vito Aiuto and his wife Monique's second outing as The Welcome Wagon opens strongly, but ultimately falls prey to the pitfalls of modern country gospelling.
The infectious "I'm Not Fine" is a fine vehicle for the couple's counterpoint harmonies, aired over a piano-driven pulse punctuated with bursts of piercing guitar; and "My God, My God, Pts 1 & 2" is a suitably epic arrangement of piano, horns and chorale. But thereafter, they develop a touch of the trendy vicars, the tone vacillating unhappily between plodding and sententious ("The Strife Is O'er" and Samuel Medley's "I Know That My Redeemer Lives") and irritatingly happy-clappy ("Rice and Beans (But No Beans)" and "God Be with You Til We Meet Again").
Download: My God, My God, Pts 1 & 2; I'm Not Fine; My Best Days
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk