Album: Tinie Tempah, Disc-Overy (Parlophone)
Friday 01 October 2010
As his singles have suggested, Disc-Overy confirms that Tinie Tempah has spirit and charm to spare, though exposed at such length, the tight focus on the standard grime/hip-hop subject matter (basically: booze, birds and bling) does tend to get tiresome.
Track after track of skittering electro synths celebrates Tinie's meteoric rise, and how he now "drive[s] past the bus I used to run for"; but there are hints of shadows creeping into his lifestyle now he's "turn't myself into a product with a price tag", notably the admission in the closing "Let Go" that he's "living out my dream and I'm tired from it". The best tracks are the more thoughtful reflections on youthful memories, such as "Illusion" and "Snap"; the worst is the turgid pomp-rock-rap crossover "Written in the Stars", ominously scheduled as his next single.
DOWNLOAD THIS Pass Out; Illusion; Snap; Wonderman
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures