Album: Trumpets of Death, Teeth + Teeth = Teeths (Tin Angel)
Friday 22 April 2011
On the intriguing Teeth + Teeth = Teeths, Leeds combo Trumpets Of Death investigate a niche, but potentially fruitful area where traditional folk music rubs up against avant-noise, post-rock textures.
It's a surprisingly congruent marriage, perhaps because both forms operate at a fundamental level, free of irony. The sea shanty "The Press Gang" is typical: a creeping, crawling undertow of improvised sound – clarinet, bells, percussion, yawning string drones – beneath Ben Wetherill's otherworldly tenor, a tale of cruelty rendered in a suitably nightmarish soundscape. The murder ballad "Cruel Ships Captain" is a turbulentavant-rock cacophony, while elsewhere "The Paper Plough" shifts from a trudge of reeds, drums and organ, malevolent as a golem on the march, to a strangely joyous gypsy polka. Weirdly fascinating.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Press Gang; Cruel Ships Captain; The Paper Plough
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
JK Rowling's Harry Potter Halloween stories: Dolores Umbridge was based on real person she 'disliked intensely'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything