Album: Trumpets of Death, Teeth + Teeth = Teeths (Tin Angel)
Friday 22 April 2011
On the intriguing Teeth + Teeth = Teeths, Leeds combo Trumpets Of Death investigate a niche, but potentially fruitful area where traditional folk music rubs up against avant-noise, post-rock textures.
It's a surprisingly congruent marriage, perhaps because both forms operate at a fundamental level, free of irony. The sea shanty "The Press Gang" is typical: a creeping, crawling undertow of improvised sound – clarinet, bells, percussion, yawning string drones – beneath Ben Wetherill's otherworldly tenor, a tale of cruelty rendered in a suitably nightmarish soundscape. The murder ballad "Cruel Ships Captain" is a turbulentavant-rock cacophony, while elsewhere "The Paper Plough" shifts from a trudge of reeds, drums and organ, malevolent as a golem on the march, to a strangely joyous gypsy polka. Weirdly fascinating.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Press Gang; Cruel Ships Captain; The Paper Plough
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action