Album: Trumpets of Death, Teeth + Teeth = Teeths (Tin Angel)
Friday 22 April 2011
On the intriguing Teeth + Teeth = Teeths, Leeds combo Trumpets Of Death investigate a niche, but potentially fruitful area where traditional folk music rubs up against avant-noise, post-rock textures.
It's a surprisingly congruent marriage, perhaps because both forms operate at a fundamental level, free of irony. The sea shanty "The Press Gang" is typical: a creeping, crawling undertow of improvised sound – clarinet, bells, percussion, yawning string drones – beneath Ben Wetherill's otherworldly tenor, a tale of cruelty rendered in a suitably nightmarish soundscape. The murder ballad "Cruel Ships Captain" is a turbulentavant-rock cacophony, while elsewhere "The Paper Plough" shifts from a trudge of reeds, drums and organ, malevolent as a golem on the march, to a strangely joyous gypsy polka. Weirdly fascinating.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Press Gang; Cruel Ships Captain; The Paper Plough
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 3 Scottish referendum 'English question': Tory MPs call on David Cameron to create an English first minister in wake of No vote
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since TV series ended in 2004
Doctor Who, Time Heist, review: Keeley Hawes is marvellous but the Doctor is the real villain
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'