Album: Trumpets of Death, Teeth + Teeth = Teeths (Tin Angel)
Friday 22 April 2011
On the intriguing Teeth + Teeth = Teeths, Leeds combo Trumpets Of Death investigate a niche, but potentially fruitful area where traditional folk music rubs up against avant-noise, post-rock textures.
It's a surprisingly congruent marriage, perhaps because both forms operate at a fundamental level, free of irony. The sea shanty "The Press Gang" is typical: a creeping, crawling undertow of improvised sound – clarinet, bells, percussion, yawning string drones – beneath Ben Wetherill's otherworldly tenor, a tale of cruelty rendered in a suitably nightmarish soundscape. The murder ballad "Cruel Ships Captain" is a turbulentavant-rock cacophony, while elsewhere "The Paper Plough" shifts from a trudge of reeds, drums and organ, malevolent as a golem on the march, to a strangely joyous gypsy polka. Weirdly fascinating.
DOWNLOAD THIS The Press Gang; Cruel Ships Captain; The Paper Plough
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures