Album: Underworld and Gabriel Yared
Breaking and Entering: Music from the Film, V2
Friday 03 November 2006
There's a rash of rock bands scoring films just now. The new Mercury Rev album and Mogwai's music for Zidane are joined by Underworld's soundtrack to Anthony Minghella's Breaking and Entering, in collaboration with the director's usual accomplice Gabriel Yared. Unlike previous Minghella films such as The English Patient, there's no period setting determining the musical approach; the contemporary London-based drama requires a more modern score that should steer clear of musical fashion. The results are reasonably successful, with Karl Hyde, Rick Smith and Yared's mostly keyboard-based pieces boasting a sleek, evocative tone that's suitably timeless. Subtle pulses lend a mildly minimalist manner to "Monkey Two" and "St Pancras", while the keyboard tones of "A Thing Happens" glow with a revelatory, expectant mood. Several tracks recall the sonic sketches of Eno's Music For Films, with a similar air of suspension casting a melancholy, crepuscular shadow over proceedings.
DOWNLOAD THIS: 111 'Not Talking', 'St Pancras', 'Sad Amira', 'Primrose Hill'
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy