Album: Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Unknown Mortal Orchestra (True Panther Sound)
Sunday 17 July 2011
UMO is the vehicle of Ruban Nielson, formerly of The Mint Chicks, and assisted here by Jake Portrait and Julien Ehrlich in pursuit of what he's called "junkshop record collector pop".
If you've already heard Google-unfriendly single "Ffunny Ffriends", you'll know what this means in practice: falsetto vocals through a broken transistor crackle, psychedelic guitars, heavy-hitting hip hop beats and art-pop titles. It recalls MGMT before the wheels came off. Which is no bad thing.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >