Album: Various artists, A Complete Introduction to Chess (Chess / Universal)
Sunday 04 July 2010
There aren't many story arcs which begin with Jackie Brenston's "Rocket 88", cruise through a succession of plot developments as brilliant as Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, Etta James, Dale Hawkins, Sonny Boy Williamson and, yes, Rotary Connection, and then conclude exactly 100 episodes later with "My Ding-a-Ling".
But that is the cruel bathos of life. The Chess/Cadet/Checker story amounts to four CDs of heaven on earth plus one trip to Chuck Berry's bathroom.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
'Phallic symbols' found hidden in famous Pre-Raphaelite painting 'Isabella' by John Everett Millais
Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules over Jeremy Clarkson's racial slur
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies trailer unveiled at Comic-Con
How did our legends really begin?
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >