Album: Various Artists, All Ready for the 25th (Sartorial)
There's something about the smartarse sass of indie attitude that curdles the Christmas spirit. It's the downfall of this left-field collection, particularly the punky adolescent antagonism of the Psychic Pussies' "Sickmass".
Apart from David Coulter's two brief, spooky bowed-saw miniatures of "Silent Night" and "In the Bleak Midwinter", it's mostly inappropriate covers like Serious Drinking's "Don't You Want Me Baby (Jesus)?" and Department S's "I Believe in Father Christmas"; the best are Robyn Hitchcock's suitably astringent take on Captain Beefheart's "There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evenin' Stage" and Cold Specks' version of Mary Margaret O'Hara's "Christmas Evermore",
Download: Silent Night; Christmas Evermore; There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evenin' Stage
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >