Album: Various Artists, All Ready for the 25th (Sartorial)
There's something about the smartarse sass of indie attitude that curdles the Christmas spirit. It's the downfall of this left-field collection, particularly the punky adolescent antagonism of the Psychic Pussies' "Sickmass".
Apart from David Coulter's two brief, spooky bowed-saw miniatures of "Silent Night" and "In the Bleak Midwinter", it's mostly inappropriate covers like Serious Drinking's "Don't You Want Me Baby (Jesus)?" and Department S's "I Believe in Father Christmas"; the best are Robyn Hitchcock's suitably astringent take on Captain Beefheart's "There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evenin' Stage" and Cold Specks' version of Mary Margaret O'Hara's "Christmas Evermore",
Download: Silent Night; Christmas Evermore; There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evenin' Stage
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'