Album: Various artists, Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan (Universal/Amnesty)
Sunday 05 February 2012
The temptation to cover the work of Bob Dylan has proven irresistible to successive generations of artists, so it's no surprise that this album – compiled to honour 50 years of Amnesty International – runs to 72 tracks and four discs.
Listening to them all, in one sitting, often feels like enduring the sort of human-rights abuse in which Amnesty would be interested, with a large contingent of nobodies and never-heard-ofs (Fistful of Mercy? Ed Roland and the Sweet Tea Project?), whose common fault is to treat the source material with too much respect.
Likewise, pop gonks such as Kesha and Miley Cyrus are way out of their depths here. The most stunning vocal performance, by several miles, is by Bettye Lavette on "Most of the Time". Bob's no great vocalist himself, but you find yourself craving just one nasal "aaah!" from him to cut through the morass like a shark's fin. Dazzling songs, dismally sung.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch imagines 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene in graphic detail
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything