Album: Various Artists, CTI Records: the Cool Revolution (Sony Masterworks Jazz)
Friday 31 December 2010
It's hard, after immersion in the rousing Fela Kuti box set, not to find this four-CD anthology culled from the jazz label CTI Records, as somewhat limp by comparison.
Recording between 1970 and 1976, Creed Taylor Incorporated represented jazz as a neatly-manicured lifestyle choice, the diametric opposite of more challenging approaches like ECM's austere chamber-jazz. The CTI method is epitomised by the easy grace of Grover Washington Jr's "Mister Magic", which along with Deodato's groovy interpretation of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" supplied the label's biggest hit. Now highly prized by Rare Groove crate-diggers in search of cool breaks, CTI's greatest contribution was perhaps the introduction into the jazz mainstream of the Brazilian styles represented here by Astrud Gilberto and Airto Moreira.
DOWNLOAD THIS Mister Magic; Also Sprach Zarathustra; Return to Forever
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says jobless migrants should be banned from entering the UK