Album: Various artists, Diablos del Ritmo – The Colombian Melting Pot 1960-1985 (Analog Africa)
Sunday 11 November 2012
This is another one of those indispensable compilations where you can only marvel at the heroic dedication of the man who put it together.
Samy Ben Redjeb collected literally thousands of tracks, mainly from the 1970s, from which these 32 funky nuggets were plucked. Afrobeat, psychedelia, American funk, rock'*'roll – as well as the core rhythms of Nigeria, the Congo and Cuba – are all stirred into the spicy pot. Retro collection of the year.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world