Album: Various artists, Gilles Peterson Presents Havana Cultura (Brownswood)
Sunday 03 January 2010
An odd one this: CD one is a bunch of new recordings featuring the Cuban pianist Roberto Fonseca, produced by Peterson, while CD two features the global DJ's current favourite Cuban grooves.
Is this compromised release (as far as Fonseca may be concerned) merely further evidence of the ascendance of DJs in relation to artists? Possibly, but most of the material is powerfully and robustly contemporary, so if you think music from Havana begins and ends with the Buena Vista Social Club, you should investigate.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >