Album: Various Artists, Kanye West Presents Good Music, Cruel Summer (Good Music/Def Jam)
The music Kanye West reserves for his own albums is so much more
ambitious than that apportioned to the collaborations on this
compilation from his new label, Good Music.
Which isn't to say it's not effective: the sparse sub-bass throbs, ticking beats and staccato stylophone synth lines of tracks like "Clique", "Mercy.1" and "The Morning" may lack grandeur, but they bring a sinister, stalking ambience that matches the blend of money, mystery and menace in the contributions of collaborators including Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, Common, Kid Cudi and Jay-Z.
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >