Album: Various artists, Oi! A Nova Musica Brasileira! (Mais um Discos)
Sunday 12 September 2010
Expectations might lead you to believe this is just another run-of-the-mill samba and bossa nova collection. Not at all.
This double CD is a mostly rewarding survey of what cutting-edge Brazilian musicians are producing under the influence of everything from indie pop to left-field hip-hop.
It's at times such as this that one wishes there wasn't the label "world" to put off potential listeners who would come to realise that British and American music is not the be all and end all when it comes to musical innovation.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results