Album: Various artists, Oi! A Nova Musica Brasileira! (Mais um Discos)
Sunday 12 September 2010
Expectations might lead you to believe this is just another run-of-the-mill samba and bossa nova collection. Not at all.
This double CD is a mostly rewarding survey of what cutting-edge Brazilian musicians are producing under the influence of everything from indie pop to left-field hip-hop.
It's at times such as this that one wishes there wasn't the label "world" to put off potential listeners who would come to realise that British and American music is not the be all and end all when it comes to musical innovation.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
David Bowie premieres politically-charged music video for ‘I’d Rather Be High’
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration