Album: Various artists, Psychedelica Three, (Northern Star)
Sunday 11 January 2009
Another ripple in the "third wave of psychedelia" washes in and what we appear to be left with is a bunch of guitar bands who owe more to shoegaze than any spirit of sonic invention.
There are woozily pleasant moments to be had (the Lea Shores, Nova Saints and Quarter After stand out), but where are the wig-outs, the jams, the experimentation? Never mind. Here is an entirely nebulous collection of melodic indie stuffed together under an ill-fitting banner. Compilation of the year for silly band names, though.
Pick of the album: The Quarter After's 'Early Morning Rider' is eerily authentic
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl Kaychanel featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >