Album: Various artists, Songlines Music Awards 2011 (Songlines)
Sunday 10 April 2011
When Radio 3 pulled out of its annual world-music awards, Songlines moved in to fill the gap, and its annual compilation of artists nominated for its own awards makes just as good a barometer.
No surprise to find Femi Kuti, Youssou N'Dour, Tamikrest and Cheikh Lo present, though my fado choice would have gone to Joana Amandoeira rather than Ana Moura. It's great to see the Creole Choir of Cuba in, plus Hanggai, as a reminder of the riches lurking in the steppes of Central Asia.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Colin Wilson: Eternal outsider
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 TK Maxx and discount stores: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >