Album: Various artists, The Rough Guide to Bellydance (World Music Network)
Sunday 13 March 2011
With feminist groups in Europe and America now espousing it, this really is a danse sans frontières.
This new compilation covers a wide field, ranging from traditional Turkish Taksim to modern tribal fusion. Its local name, raqs sharki, means literally "dance of the East", with the European notion of "la danse du ventre" (reflecting the undulations of the torso) indicating a focus on just part of it. American exponents figure here, and musicians from the Caucasus.
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 London is the most googled city in the world
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Richard Dawkins ridicules Sabrina Corgatelli for claiming her giraffe kill was 'ethical'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke