Album: Various Artists: The Saturday Sessions 2011 (Sony)
By far the most interesting aspect of Radio 2's Saturday Sessions is not the "unplugged" versions of pop hits that so rarely reveal any new aspects of performer or material, but the moments when the acts are required to step out of their personal comfort-zones and cover another artist's song.
Some, like Plan B's strained attempt at "Tracks of My Tears", illustrate why they're infrequently attempted; others, like John Grant's transformation of Abba's "Angel Eyes" into elegant adult confessional and Villagers' Leonard Cohen-like approach to Janelle Monae's "Tightrope", are genuinely revelatory. Then there are the ones that are just spirited good fun, notably Kasabian's take on Del Shannon's "Runaway". But the most gripping thing here has to be Paolo Nutini's delicate rendition of Richard Thompson's "Beeswing".
DOWNLOAD THIS: Beeswing; Angel Eyes; I've Been Losing You; Runaway
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >