Album: Various artists, World Routes on the Road (Nascente/BBC)
Sunday 27 November 2011
This is the absolute top pick of 10 years of world-wide trawling by Radio 3's tireless World Routes team, and it makes a lovely sampler.
If anyone wants to get a taste of the best folk musics of the world, this double CD is the place to begin. Lucy Duran and her producer James Parkin have eclectic enthusiasms, and have cast their net imaginatively: my favourites here come from Georgia, Albania, South India and Cape Verde, but every one of these 30 tracks is a winner.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 5 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action