Album: Wendy Rene, After Laughter Comes Rain (Light in the Attic)
Sunday 04 March 2012
Teenaged singer Wendy Rene signed for Stax in 1964 and retired in 1967. This
tiny window produced a handful of supreme garage-soul songs, with "After
Laughter" later sampled by Wu-Tang Clan and covered by Alicia Keys.
This lovingly curated compilation opens with "Bar-B-Q" , the best meat-related dance-craze song I know. Co-written by Steve Cropper, it's handclapping-soul heaven. "After Laughter" and "What Will Tomorrow Bring" are almost as good. Everything is worth hearing.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly