Album: White Denim, Workout Holiday (Full Time Hobby)
Sunday 22 June 2008
While many bands name-drop Nick Drake, the Beach Boys and the Velvets (fine and proper, but getting predictable), my interest in this Texas trio was assured when bassist Steve Terebecki announced that White Denim "would really like to turn into XTC".
A single, the Devo-ish call-and-response blast of "Let's Talk About It" boded well, and as deranged, quirky and uneven as it is, 'Workout Holiday' cements the arrival of a group that dares to be different. The title refers to the fact that recording took place during time off from "blue collar day jobs". Won't be needing those any more.
Pick of the Album: 'Let's Talk About It' is a real crowd pleaser
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile